I have used notebooks for years. I have a rather small obsession with notebooks where I have a massive stash of all types of notebooks for when the mood strikes and I must have a certain size, feel, color, paper texture, etc. Last year I blazed through quite a few Moleskine notebooks capturing all my random thoughts, notes, lists, links, and more. The problem with my system is that I am not able to track down where things were located.
This year I am dabbling in the Bullet Journal system. In my blog post where I recapped 2015 and made plans for 2016 I shared the following:
Last year I also tried to keep a logbook where I documented things each day. It started off good, but it fizzled out because it was simply too much with my weekly planner notebook and other notebooks where I scribbled down ideas. Now, looking back at things the notebook was super powerful and I wish I did not give up on it because so many little life events were captured that would have been lost forever.
This year I am not buying the 12 month variant color system(but I LOVE them and the look and wish they worked for me). Instead I will be using a new modified system where I am building up my own Bullet Journal system. This is something I have wanted to do for years and this year I am making it happen. I have already started merging ideas from last year to make positive gains in 2016. Check out my video here on part 1 of my preparation(part 2 coming soon). Even more exciting is that my 9 year old daughter is making one and we had a great evening making and preparing our notebooks. This year will be epic!
How have things progressed? I am ten days into the year. I have many things organized, but still have a lot of experimenting to do. I am experimenting with the #planwithmechallenge because I feel like it gives me a bit of structure while still allowing the notebook to be my ideas and my thoughts as I figure out what exactly I want this notebook to become. For January, I try to either set up the next day before bed or first thing in the morning when I wake up. I am taking things one day at a time until I feel ready to plan more extensively. I like the free flow of taking in each day as they come.
I am using my Bullet Journal that funded through Kickstarter, but when this fills I will use any notebook that fits your liking i.e. Moleskine or some a cheap one found at the store.
- Tracking weight. I am tracking my weight daily on my January spread. I see a lot of people capture water intake, but I have an app for this recording that works.
- I have added 7 goals to the month of January to accomplish. It is a bit overachieving but I can always move to the next month if needed.
- Each day I try to title it with a word that fits the mood, tone, or actions of the day.
- Each day capturing little tidbits of stories, books I am reading, video game status, etc. Something that I think I would like to know at the end of the year when I go back through things.
- I have thought hard about my big goals of 2016. I made a page, but it is still a work in progress. I left room to add more as the year goes on, but I have five big goals to start.
What needs work?
- Artistic talents and font styles. I need to spruce things up but this will come with time. Right now it is a bit drab.
- Continue to sample with new ideas to see what works and what does not. I am still in the process of taking my old system of just writing all types of things down to a more organized flow. I don’t know how to do that so I simply am using my old notebook on the side. I know, stupid, but it is how I roll until I figure things out.
- Spiraldex. I am intrigued by this suggestion given to me on G+
Here is my Google Photo Album of documenting my journey with my own notebook throughout the year.
I am learning so many amazing ideas from the #planwithmechallenge Facebook group. I love seeing how people organize and am creating a file of images for ideas to try next month.