Hello! Welcome to the About Me page for Aaron Maurer or as I am known in school and online Coffeechug. Coffeechug is a nickname that stuck with me back when I taught sixth grade social studies and was Emperorer Coffeechug during an ancient Rome simulation. I have not lost the name due to the fact that I am always seen with a cup of coffee in hand.
I have been teaching for over a decade (stating it like that makes me feel old). I am currently an Instructional Coach working with teachers to develop high quality projects, lessons, ideas, student voice, technology, and anything else that comes my way. Prior to this position I spent four years as a gifted education teacher for Bettendorf Schools in Bettendorf, Iowa. I worked with grades 4 and 5 in a pull out program where they are transported to the middle school for class two days a week(separate days for each grade). I also taught extensions/enrichment for grades 6-8 during the rest of the day. Prior to that job I spent five years as a sixth grade social studies and literacy teacher.
When the school day is over my day is just beginning with my duties as a First Lego League Robotics coach, 8th grade boys and girls basketball coach, and running intramural football for sixth grade. I am also running a new engineering program called Young Engineers of Today. I am blessed to be married to another amazing teacher and person and we have three children. We are called the A Team for our first names: Aaron, Amanda, Aiden, Addyson, and Ava.
This blog is a collection of my thoughts and ideas. They are in no way associated with the schools that I work for and do not reflect the thoughts of anyone except me.
My goal with this blog and everything I do in life is to challenge myself and others in their lives and thinking. I hope you find the content useful and look forward to connecting.
I am always available to present and speak if needed. I have all past presentations shared on this site along with all project.
Publications and Media
- What does #hacktheclassroom mean to me?
- Embrace social media in your classroom without fear! | Education Highlights
- Meet a Tech Savvy Teacher: Aaron Maurer NCCE 2016 Conference
- PITSCO TAG Member Announcement
- CNBC: The hottest new start-up … makes toy cars http://cnb.cx/1jzd5hV
- 9.20.15 Discussing Student Bill of Rights
- Connecting Students on Every Classroom Matters with Vicki Davis
- 6.22.2015 Microsoft in Education Bog
- “I believe in the student, and want to help them see they should be in the driver’s seat.” -Aaron Maurer, USA http://dailyedventures.com/index.php/2015/05/11/aaron-maurer/
- 5.8.14 National Honor Society Keynote Speech
- Help Desk Live: Episode 5: Google Glass in Education
- In Your Face: The Future of Teaching With Google Glass
Don Wettrick with Aaron Maurer
- Moving Your Teaching Practice Beyond Your Comfort Zone
Vicki Davis with Aaron Maurer
- Students presenting at ISLI 2013
- October 18th, 2013: Gov. Branstad Announces Iowa Teacher of the Year(I was a finalist)
- Sunday Around The World January 30th, 2011
Where To Start?
If you are new to this blog, then I would suggest looking at the tabs at the top of the blog. This is where I place links to priors posts that I feel are important enough for others to be able to find easily. They are my more popular posts that people have found useful.
Here is a list of my top posts to give you a sense of what the readers like. Enjoy and feel free to reach out to me.
- National Honor Society Speech: So What?
- LEGO EV3: Bluetooth Project – Windy City
- PBL Resources
- Teachers Save Lives: Mrs. Clarke
- The World is a Makerspace, Not a Classroom
- Are we even listening anymore?
- 011: Living on the Edge of Chaos: Student Entrepreneurs – Dennibro
- 3 Key Components to a Powerhouse Staff and School
- What are the shortcomings of project based learning?
- Love of Learning Cannot Be Taught….Can It?
- #GGEE Video 8: Project Tuning Process with Students
- Teacher Tinker Time Reflection: Teamwork and Collaboration
- The Power of International Collaboration: Iowa – Africa