This is a special episode speaking with a student of mine who has inspired me to step and lead by my actions. She has pushed my thinking into taking the leaps in life to find out what could be. This student, Laurel Braaten, has modeled the way to not only think about ideas, but to work hard to take the plunge to make the ideas happen.
Laurel is more than a student. She is a leader. She has inspired not just her peers, but adults, school leaders, and more to be inspired by being in her presence.
She has inspired me.
This episode was recorded just before the start of the school year as she was preparing for her senior year of high school. It is always amazing to hear the insights and remember that she is a student.
How would you define leadership? (4:40)
What have you done to model how be a leader? (6:00)
How do you go about being a leader? How do you handle the adversity and setbacks? (9:00)
What are your methods to help get other people on board with the ideas? (13:00)
What is your WOW project of the moment? (19:30)
What is advice to help people start leading by taking action? (23:00)
What are you reading right now?
- Pamphlet from United Nations
Who is someone we should all follow and learn from?
What is your spirit animal?
Final Thoughts or Nuggets of Wisdom
- Make sure you are surrounded by good people who are just as passionate as you are
Past Blog Posts Featuring Laurel to Learn About Her Work
Student Voice: What Exactly Does It Mean?
#IowaSLI and #stuvoice has reinvigorated my life’s work!
Authentic Student Voice and Creating Action
What is the Purpose of Education?
The State of Student Voice. My Thank You Letter
Student Voice Campaign and Work
Another great episode speaking with my good friend Jen Goetz who is helping to change the education landscape as well as coaching landscape by living with passion.
Junior High Special Education Teacher
Head Varsity Girls Basketball Coach for Pleasant Valley
How do define the word leadership? (4:15)
What is the process to become a leader? (5:45)
- Self Confidence
- Self Motivation
- Lifelong Learner
How do you create enrollment into the vision?(8:30)
- As a leader you are the front cover of the book for them to decide where they choose to read and continue on or not!
How do you sustain the passion? (10:30)
- Balance your life
- Get away from the passion
- Failure drives and fuels the passion
What is your WOW project of the moment? (13:20)
How to deal with haters and those who don’t agree (21:00)
Difference between successful and unsuccessful leaders (22:30)
How does someone get started with leading? (25:00)
How does one cross the swamp without fighting all the aligators?(25:00)
10. What are you reading right now
- Leaders Eat Last
- Grit to Great
11. Who is someone we should all follow and learn from?
- PJ Fleck
12. Gift one book to someone what would it be?
The Energy Bus
13. What is your spirit animal?
14. Final Thoughts or Nuggets of Wisdom
Another great episode speaking with my good friend Todd Beard who is helping to change the education landscape of STEM across the nation.
He also works with Youth Spark and a host of other job details as part of the Microsoft Philanthropy.
Todd is also part of the Hack STEM team.
8:00 – How Todd taught grades k-12 Computer and adapted ideas to the real world
14:00 – As STEM is becoming more a buzzword, there are still many singletons trying to figure out what it all means. How have schools been able to implement successfully and not just another add on?
24:00 – Exciting stories from STEM in the fields.
“STEM solves the workforce issue”
“STEAM” is what makes America great!”
SAIL – Successful Attempt In Learning
32:00 – What is your WOW project?
Follow these people
Join a group such as BreakoutEDU and Makered
Be an educational advocate
We have been reading the book, How To Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use, in our Coffeechug Mastermind Group and we have had our ideas and habits challenged with this book by Randy Paterson.
I would love it if you would review and rank the show and/or the episodes. It greatly helps us gain traction to bring in more people to the show.
I reached out to Randy asking for a chance to ask him some question for the podcast based on the conversations we have had online in the group. In this episode we discuss the following:
- How did this book concept come to reality? How did it develop based on his work?
- Does self esteem exist?
- People with high self esteem are not doing positive affirmations. They are doing nothing.
- Why the list of self affirmations are lies
- How do we remove the plug and stop thinking negatively?
- How do we ingest a proper balance of proper social nutrients to stop isolating ourselves by staying online?
- How we actually use our 24 hours in a day?
- Average American consumes 10 hours of screen time
- Mix in sleep of 8 hours
- We are not left with many hours left!
- Is there a correlation between isolation vs. mental health issues
- How a Men in Black Activity will make you rethink your habits
- How to rethink the mental healthy system to allow for better heath
- Why it is easier to label a person with a disorder vs. personality?
You can find his work on his website that will lead you to all of his work, books, social media and more.
Here is a link to the video that started it all.
Join our Coffeechug MasterMind Group
Buy the book, How To Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use
In this episode the crew assembles once again for a roundtable discussion on our favorite show, The OA.
If you have not watched the show, then stop what you are doing and go binge watch right now.
If you have watched the show, then you must check this episode out and leave a comment sharing your ideas and thoughts.
Please remember to leave a rating and feedback. We would love it if you took 3 minutes to leave us a rating.
Listen to the Show
Check out the show and episodes on iTunes
Listen to it directly on Podomatic
In this episode we discuss:
- How do we work to change how we as coaches and teachers change our perception of teaching?
- Why we need to change the perception on how we do the things we are currently doing.
- Understand the problems when players/students don’t see the reason WHY they are being asked to do the things they are being asked to do.
- The fear of charting down the paths that nobody else is doing and dealing with the following:
- What is the biggest difference in athletic mindsets today versus 10 years or 20 years ago?
- How do we deal with the idea of continuing to do the wrong things right instead of the right things wrong?
- Why children should play multiple sports instead of specializing in one.
- What are skills needed to be successful in life and on the court?
Resources Discussed in the Podcast
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
Check Out His books
The 21st Century Basketball Practice:
My book review 21st Century Basketball Practice by Brian McCormick
21st Century Guide to Individual Skill
Find Brian McCormick at the following places
John Cole, founder of Dexter Industries joins us for the latest episode of the podcast.
In this episode we learn a great deal about life, learning, and entrepreneurship. What I love best about this particular episode is how he is able to share a glimpse of his journey into how he has arrived at his current point in life. This journey connects to so many students who are trying to navigate their interests and passions.
We discuss the following:
- How did he end up as the founder of Dexter Industries?
- The key skills needed to be adaptable and mobile in the job market and being successful in life.
- Why there is no discussion of the specific content needed to be hired for a job. Focus on the traits companies are looking for and no so much on what content you contain in your head.
- What is missing from the next wave of people looking for a job?(hint: you must be able to WRITE)
- Building a portfolio of perseverance and grit. We must prove our worth!
Check out the show and episodes on iTunes
This episode has been an idea I have had with some fellow teachers for quite some time. Have you ever that moment where you get going into a deep conversation with fellow teachers during a prep or after school or whenever you can carve out time and afterwards you wish you had those ideas recorded for others to hear and respond to?
After talking about doing a podcast focused on a group of teachers just talking to showcase that we are more than just a Mr. or Mrs. whoever, we finally made it happen.
To keep it authentic we all agreed to bring a topic to the table for us to discuss, but we were not allowed to share the topic until the microphones were turned on. This kept the conversation authentic and fresh.
What you are about to listen to is a podcast that I think is not only awesome, but powerful, funny, and natural. It will hopefully give you something to think about and more importantly we hope you engage with us. Leave a comment, tell us what you agree with or what your answer is to the question.
Enjoy! And we hope you enjoy enough that we get to do this again.
Shownotes, Topics, and Resources
- Dual consciousness – in case you don’t understand this topic(like me!) start here in Wikipedia
- Corpus callosotomy – 8:00 minute mark
- Idle Hands – 8:30 minute mark
- When you write something with a pencil and then erase it…..where does it go? – 9:00 minute mark
- Inside Out
- Would you wait in line physically for 2.5 hours for an object or experience?
- Is the wait worth it?
- The bonding of strangers in line around you
- Is it a follower mentality?
- Being in line is such a major part of your life
- Cutting in line
- Would you rather….
- do something somewhat important and get credit? OR
- do something completely revolutionary such as cure cancer and never get credit?
- Hard part is this question has a socially accepted answer!
- Into the Badlands
- Fever 1793
- Could it be possible that Apple has their own hackers that create virus for Windows machines AND is ethical?
- Ethics is a category in Billy Madison
- Does this even happen?
- Why is it that Macs never have a virus?
Games and Distraction
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf by Bezier Games
- Reddit Thread – explain it like I am 5
- Reddit Thread – change my view
- Giphy Tab
How to pronounce gif?